Goa pattal bhaji
On demand of a few of our vegetarian readers heres an all time favourite goan veg recipe :)
Chana Patal Bhaaji is served in most of the Goan local restaurants loved by one and all .Chana-patal bhaaji has the flavors of all the whole masalas. Goans relish the Chana Patal Bhaaji with pao (goan local bread) tastes best for breakfast.
By the way I would like to warn you the list of ingredients looks long but you will love the veggie it dishes out :D
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
White Peas (Chana) : ¼ cup
Grated coconut: 1 cup
Onion: 2 (one sliced and one finely chopped)
Potato: 1 small (chopped into big cubes)
Black pepper: 1tspn
Cinnamon: 1 inch
Dry coriander seeds: 2 tbspn
Star anise: 2 petals (seeds removed)
Mace: 1 petal
Fennel seeds: 1 tspn
Poppy seeds: 1tspn
Dry red chillies: 5
Oil : 3 tbspn
Green coriander leaves: 2 tbspn (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
· Soak the white peas (chana) overnight. Pressure cook white peas (chana) for 4 whistles.
· Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Stir fry sliced onion till brown.
· Add the grated coconut and stir fry till brownish.
· Dry roast all the whole masala on a low flame till nice aroma wafts from the pan.
· Grind the coconut very fine along with the roasted whole masalas, turmeric and little water.
· Heat 2 tbspn oil and stir-fry finely chopped onion till it changes colour.
· Add the ground masala and cooked white peas, potatoes along with water.
· Add the required water to the gravy; the gravy should be of thin consistency.
· Add the green coriander and salt.
· Remove from heat when potatoes are cooked.
· Serve with puri, chapathi or pao.
It was a fun experience making this dish along with mummy.. added a new reciepe to my culinary basket :)
Catch you'll later going to have some Authentic Goan patal Bhaji now ;)